Planning to do screenwriting or script writing, and need a software for it, so here we have listed best screenwriting software for you.
Screenwriting is important for filmmakers at any level. And use of Screenwriting software can help you present your ideas, organize scenes, and gives auto format without putting effort.
If you’re a beginner or pro, this Softwares work for all. As per your thoughts, this Softwares present your ideas as a Complete Script for review. So many features you’ll see inside these Softwares like Templates, Auto Text Tools, Exporting scripts, Organize Screenplays in one software. For team members, these can be great software for working on the same project at a time.
We’ve handpicked top 5 Softwares that you can use for Screenwriting. In this article, we cover a complete review with features and benefits.
Also Read :- Best Voice Changer Software
Comparision between top 5 Screenwriting Software
|Final Draft 12||USD 99.99||★ ★ ★ ★ ★||Download Now|
|Celtx||USD 15 per month||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆||Download Now|
|WriterDuet||Free trial||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆||Download Now|
|Movie Magic Screenwriter||$169||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆||Download Now|
|Fade In||Free trial||★ ★ ★ ★ ★||Download Now|
List of 5 Best Screenwriting Software
Here are these 5 best screenwriting software with features and download links:
1. Final Draft ScreenWriting software
Final Draft is one of the best Screenwriting Software used in the entertainment industry for decades. Over the years, it has won many awards. It is most commonly used by television and productions, Netflix, Paramount, Pixar, etc. It saves a lot of time and makes work more accessible as it offers more than 300+ templates.
The final draft is ideal for the motion picture market, and it can be the best choice if you are planning to make movies, shows, etc., then you must go for this standard screenwriting Software. The best thing is you can try it for 30 days and see how it works for you. So, download, install and enjoy its free trial for 30 days. And then you can upgrade to its higher pricing plans.
The pricing Plans for Final Draft 11, starting from $79.99 to $199.99 (With a 30-Days Trial of all plans). You can choose plans based on your requirements. It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and mobile devices, OSX, iOS. It can be called multi-device software.
Pricing of Final Draft 11:
|Educational License||New License||Upgrade (For existing Customers)|
|USD 99.99||USD $199.99||USD $79.99|
System requirements to install Final Draft:
- Operating System: Windows 10 Minimum OS
- RAM: Minimum 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- Hard Drive Space: 60 MB available hard drive space
- Internet connection required during installation
Pros of Final Draft :
- Offers story mapping tool and more than 300 templates
- Intuitive interface and auto backup
- 30 days free trial version available
- Final draft fonts support over 97 languages.
Cons of Final Draft 11:
- Quite expensive as compared to other screenwriting software in the market.
Celtx is the best option if you are looking for affordable yet effective screenwriting software. It’s a multi-purpose cloud-based screenwriting tool so enables you to access your account from almost anywhere. Its interface is user-friendly, intuitive, and straightforward, making it ideal for beginners and large teams and companies who want a single platform to plan, shoot, and write. It offers practical tools for writing, script format, collaboration, production, and more.
With Celtx, one can work online or offline as per need with mobile apps for Android, iPhone, and iPad. It is also designed for real-time collaboration. It is best for screenwriters who work within a large team. If you want to handle screenwriting to production management, then go for Celtx.
For a better experience, it also offers 30 days free trial. Its pricing starts at $15 to $45 based on which type of work requires you have. You can pick the best plan for your work. It is available for Windows & Mac Users.
Pricing of Celtx Screenwriting software:
|Individual & Small Team||Enterprise||Education|
|Starts with USD 15/month||Contact Sales||Contact Sales|
Pros of Celtx:
- Multi-purpose screenwriting software with a simple and intuitive interface.
- 30 days free trial version is available.
- A full cloud-based solution software
- Support creation of stripboards and production calendars
Cons of Celtx:
- Improvement is needed in copy-paste option.
- Not fully focused screenwriting software
Writerduet is an excellent screenwriting software with easy to use interface. This all focuses on real-time collaboration, and its cloud-based software, so one can access it from anywhere. This software is best for screenwriters and professionals who need real-time collaboration for writing down their ideas. It supports mobile devices and multiple browsers. You can sign up for free and also take benefit from its free inbuilt tutorials.
It also supports a vast range of formats and is fully integrated with an SSL certificate. Its services are available in either modes online or offline. It also comes with a free plan. But in the free version, you get access to limited features. Its pricing plans start from $5 to $25. It is available on iOS & Mac Devices.
Silent features of WriterDuet Scripting Tool:
Here are some great features of WriterDuet Scripting Tool:
- SCREENWRITING – Write with standard formats, backups, production tools, and import/export various other filetypes
- OUTLINING – Brainstorm, organize, and make with brain maps as well as index cards inside your project.
- CLOUD-BASED – Work from anywhere, on any device with online offline web, mobile, as well desktop apps.
Price of WriterDuet Script Writing Software:
Pros of WriterDuet:
- It is available for Free.
- Easy and intuitive interface
- Designed for real-time collaboration
- Comes with templates, tagging, and outlining features.
- Customizable software offers scripts and edits.
Cons of WriterDuet:
- Free scripts are limited to only three.
- For real-time collaboration, work online rather than offline.
4. Movie Magic Screenwriter
Another excellent Screenwriting Software is Movie Magic Screenwriter, which professionals use for decades. It is the first choice of all the big businesses. This software is perfect for screenwriting, novels, musicals, stage plays, and many more. To provide a better experience to its users so that, it offers free online videos and a free demo version to try out. Its interface is flexible and straightforward.
It’s ideal for the film industry, the educational sector, and professional’s writers. It has all tools for screenwriting, including 100+ screenwriting templates, real-time formatting, online collaboration, and many more features to serve. Its pricing starts from $169.00. It is available on Windows & Mac Devices.
Windows PC requirement for installation of Movie Magic Screenwriter:
Movie Magic® Screenwriter System Requirements Windows
- Pentium 300Mhz or greater (Pentium 1Ghz recommended)
- Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 compatible
- 60 MB of Hard Disk Space
- Internet connection for downloads (network installation not supported)
- iPartner requires Internet connection, optional microphone
and speakers for voice chat
- Video Card w/8MB or greater recommended for Full Page View
Pros of Movie Magic Screenwriter:
- Auto backup available
- Easy installation and automatic updates
- Allows to tag characters and locations
- Online collaboration available
Cons of Movie Magic Screenwriter:
- One of the most expensive software in the market
5. Fade In
Currently, Fade In is one of the best Screenwriting Software in the market, and it’s an affordable alternative to final draft and movie magic screenwriters. It is compatible with Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS. Along with affordable, it also offers excellent features. It supports action to dialogue calculator, multiple languages, revisions, etc., making it a standard software for new industry.
It also shows support to various formats like text, HTML, etc. And deliver real-time collaboration. This software is best for screenwriters who work on motion pictures in the film industry. It’s pricing at $79.95, and it is available on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
Features of Fade In Scripting Tool:
- Fully featured application interface
- Extensive formatting capabilities
- Autocomplete typing
- Image support
- Organization and navigation
- No distractions
- Support for multiple file formats
- Powerful writing (and rewriting) tools
- Breakdowns, reports, and tagging
- Mobile device ready.
- Cloud storage
Pros of Fade In:
- Easy to use and flexible interface.
- Automatic script formatting
- Cloud storage service is provided
- Free software updates enabled
Cons of Fade In:
- Company watermark is available in the free version.
- May face compatibility issues from in or out of the industry.
What is the best free screenwriting software?
As per our testing different top screenwriting software, we found as WriterDuet as the best free screenwriting software with Free Trial.
What is the best screenwriting software?
If you have already been refered to use best screenwriting software, it is not free but 79% of industry use Final Draft. As the developers always keep it like new screenwriting software with regular updats. Recently, it is updated to Final Draft 12.
Is Celtx free anymore?
No, Celtx is no more free. It starts with USD 15 per month.
What software should I use for screenwriting?
Here we have listed top 5 scripting software:-
1. Final Draft 12
4. Movie Magic Screenwriter
5. Fade In
What is the best screenwriting course?
1. Aaron Sorkin teaches Screenwriting (MasterClass)
2. Shonda Rhimes teaches Writing for Television (MasterClass)
3. Inspirational Screenwriting: The #1 Screenwriting course (Udemy)
4. Screenwriting and Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys (Udemy)
5. Micro-Budget Filmmaking: Screenwriting (Skillshare)
6. Learn to write Movies: Screenwriting step by step (Skillshare)
7. Script writing: Basics and Tips: How to Write a Movie Script: Screenwriting for beginners (Skillshare)
8. Beginning Screenwriting Made Easy (Udemy)
9. Screenwriting masterclass: A Complete guide to Screenwriting (Skillshare)
10. Screenwriting for beginners (Udemy)
We’ve covered the best 5 screenwriting software with In-depth details and Comparison. These 5 Softwares are suitable for Beginners to Advance level users. Most of these Softwares are available with free trials. So you can start using any software without spending money. And I suggest you go with a free trial and after understanding the benefits you can go with a paid plan. I hope these 5 Softwares will fulfill your Requirements and the info will help you pick the best one for you.